St. Mary’s Hospital School of Nursing is located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Mary Keller honored her late husband with her donation to the hospital and school which then became known as Keller Memorial Hospital. The couple believed there was no higher symbol of Christian duty than a hospital directed by a religious order. The Sisters of the Order of St. Francis were chosen with assistance from the Vicar General of the Scranton Diocese. The hospital incorporated in 1914.
The School of Nursing opened January 25, 1916. The nurse executive at the time was Sister M. Joan RN, OSF, a Bellevue educated nurse. Seven students enrolled. The course length was three years.
During the first year, 360 patients were treated. In August, 1920 the hospital held its’ third annual, “Donation Day’. At this time the pubic was requested to donate money, coal, food, linen, and other “useful things.” The state of Pennsylvania accredited the school of nursing in 1926.
West, R. (1939). History of Nursing in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania State Nurses’ Association.