St. Joseph School for Women was founded in 1916 by the Sisters of St. Joseph and the first class graduated in 1920. The School transitioned over the years to become the St Joseph College of Nursing. It remains active in the education of nurses as well as other professions. The Museum of Nursing History is so pleased to […]
St. Xavier School of Nursing was founded in 1935. The college integrated with the Mercy Hospital and launched the first BSN program in Illinois. This joining together enabled the melding of general education with hospital based lab courses and clinical practice. We congratulate the School of Nursing on the 80 year anniversary of their founding! […]
The Museum of Nursing History is pleased to share with our website viewers and museum visitors, a 1970s cap from the University of Massachusetts. The addition of this cap brings the total number of caps on display to eighty-five! The black velvet band was applied upon graduation and K-Y jelly was used to secure the […]
The museum recently acquired a cap believed to represent an unknown School of Nursing. The cap is constructed of an unknown synthetic material resembling something that may be disposable. It has a firm texture, with vertical pin tucks along the crown of the cap. Please let us know if you can help us identify the cap or […]
The Jewett Training School for Nurses in Brooklyn, NY opened to educate nurses in 1891. The school was located within Bushwick Hospital and over time, the school frequently became referred to as Bushwick Hospital School of Nursing. The Museum of Nursing History received a cap representing the School and the cap is currently on display. […]
The Museum has added the cap representing the Sharon Hospital School of Nursing. This Hospital based program began educating nurses in 1899. The program continues today with expanded affiliations with Penn State, Slippery Rock both in Pennsylvania and Youngstown State in Ohio. Sharon Hospital is located in northwestern Pennsylvania. the Museum is pleased to add […]
The nurse’s cap originated in the early Christian Era as a head covering for deaconesses that cared for the sick. During the 1800’s, head coverings evolved into the more familiar white cap that was first used by Florence Nightingale.
The cap collection of the Museum of Nursing History continues to grow with the addition of the cap representing the Long Island College Hospital School of Nursing. This cap is loving made of organdy and worn forward on the head near at the hairline.
The Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angelis, California was established in the late 19th century. Episcopalian nuns managed the hospital under the auspices of the Episcopal diocese. The first Episcopal Bishop named Johnson arrived in 1896. It is through his interest and energy the hospital grew. A School of Nursing was established at Good Samaritan Hospital. […]